How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nisha Jones, Esq. Your Own Question
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 948
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Nisha Jones, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can i get my boyfriend out of jail when they havent set

Customer Question

How can i get my boyfriend out of jail when they havent set a bond yet and he went to court the last week and also got a appointed attorney When he pled not guilty
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: Tn
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I dont know its over an indictment. Which he wasnt here for when they search the house
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They r charging him criminal simulation sechdule 2 3 4 and unlawful drup pharipanella
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. I've reviewed your question, please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

If your boyfriend is being charged with drug related offenses, then he should have been assigned a bind amount when he went before the judge the first time. There are certain 'non-bondable' offenses, for which a person is held in custody without the possibility of a bond, but those are for much more serious violent offenses, such as homicide, arson, aggravated violent crimes, etc.-- ie. not drug related offenses.

If he's already been appointed an attorney, then my recommendation would be to speak with his attorney and inquire whether he/she has any additional information that you may not currently be aware of, that would explain why he's not been given a bond amount.

If there are no other reasons, then my recommendation would be for you to ask his attorney to submit a Writ of Habeas Corpus to the court. This writ is a petition to the court that basically demands that they bring your boyfriend to court and allow him to have a bond assigned to him, as it's his legal right. Hopefully that would be the nudge it takes, for him to be given the right due process he deserves.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can continue our conversation for free after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok if i cant get ahold of his lawyer can i file the habeas corpus and how can i get all the evidence the state haa aginst him.
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

You can't personally file the Writ of Habeas Corpus, the only person that can do so is his attorney of record. The same applies to getting copies of all the evidence-- only his attorney will have that.

The way it works is that the Prosecutor has various pieces of evidence, witness lists, recordings, witness statements, etc, and the prosecutor has to supply a copy of all of the above to the defense attorney. Other than that, copies of evidence won't be given out to anyone else. What that means is if you'd like to review the evidence against him, you'll have to meet with his attorney and review it with him/her.

I hope that helps. Just a gentle reminder, as I've answered your questions please take a moment at this time to rate me using the stars. I do not receive a salary at JustAnswer and am only compensated once you rate me using 3 stars or more. Thanks so much, I appreciate you taking the time to do so!

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!