Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Im a non violent felon in maine with one o.u.i and habitual

Customer Question
o.a.s. wich is my felony...
im a non violent felon in maine with one o.u.i and habitual o.a.s. wich is my felony and would like to know how to get my gun rights restored
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: maine
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: driving without a liscence and elusion of an officer
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no i ave not
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/14/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 1 year ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

As you already know, a felony conviction or any crime for which a sentence of more than a year in jail is possible, will cost an offender his state and his Federal firearms rights.

The only way all of your Maine civil rights, including your full state gun rights would be restored to you would be through a full pardon from your governor. With that, the Federal government would lift their disability as well and your full Second Amendment rights would be restored.

Pardons are hard to obtain. Until then, if it has been more than 5 years from the discharge of your sentence, you could apply to the Commissioner of Public Safety for a permit which would allow you to carry a black powder weapon. That is also legal under Federal law, so long as it is "not intended or redesigned for using rim fire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898 (including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap or similar type of ignition system or replica thereof, whether actually manufactured before or after the year 1898)."

You can read more information about a Maine pardon here.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD