How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26758
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im a non violent felon in maine with one o.u.i and habitual

Customer Question

im a non violent felon in maine with one o.u.i and habitual o.a.s. wich is my felony and would like to know how to get my gun rights restored
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: maine
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: driving without a liscence and elusion of an officer
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no i ave not
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 8 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 8 months ago.

As you already know, a felony conviction or any crime for which a sentence of more than a year in jail is possible, will cost an offender his state and his Federal firearms rights.

The only way all of your Maine civil rights, including your full state gun rights would be restored to you would be through a full pardon from your governor. With that, the Federal government would lift their disability as well and your full Second Amendment rights would be restored.

Pardons are hard to obtain. Until then, if it has been more than 5 years from the discharge of your sentence, you could apply to the Commissioner of Public Safety for a permit which would allow you to carry a black powder weapon. That is also legal under Federal law, so long as it is "not intended or redesigned for using rim fire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898 (including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap or similar type of ignition system or replica thereof, whether actually manufactured before or after the year 1898)."

You can read more information about a Maine pardon here.