How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marc Your Own Question
Marc, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 344
Experience:  Licensed Attorney at Law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Marc is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Maybe, today is the bail hearing, colorado, ive consulted

Customer Question

JA: Have charges been filed in this matter? If so, when is the next court date?
Customer: today is the bail hearing
JA: In what state did this occur? And has an attorney been consulted?
Customer: colorado, ive consulted some online lawyer services
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My boyfriend was arrested fro false imprisonment and domestic violence. The situation was I was experiencing a sever anxiety related panic attack, which great affected my decison making skills and ability to control my own emotion. I can very quickly become fully unwound emotionally, throwing things, stopping around. in the case of when I boyfriend was arrested he was trying to keep me from leaving the house becasue I was determined to get behind a wheel of car in the condition I was in. I should be driving when im mid panic attack. period. Im not saying he didnt have other options but the choice me made to keep me inside was made with good intentions, intentions of keeping me and other safe. we have had a few other calls of the police to our house because of my angery panic attacks but he has not hurt me, im not afraid of him. He as doing what he was doing because as far as he knew it was the best thing he could do. I went to the ER after he got arrested and finally decided to stop putting off prescription medication and am not taking serious strides to control my condition. What I told the police offeres that came to my house was "we just would let me leave" which is true but I thinnk the context should matter,because I am VERY greatful he did not let me leave and potentially hurt myself or someone else. its a very possible reality when im that out of control. I want to get his charges dropped. today is his bail hearing. what should i do?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Marc replied 9 months ago.

Good morning. My name is Marc. I am a licensed attorney and I will be happy to assist you.

You need to go to court and inform the prosecutor and the judge that you don't want to press charges. The police most likely did the right thing by arresting him, under the circumstances, because at the time you were unable to rationally explain the situation to them. Now that you're feeling ok, you have an opportunity to do so in court so that the prosecutor can drop the charges. Keep in mind, if there's a significant history of arrests, the prosecutor may exercise his/her discretion and go forward with the charges anyway. But if you're there to explain that this was all a misunderstanding and that your boyfriend did nothing wrong, they will likely let him go right away.

Try to be there by 9:00am. You might have a bit of a wait. Look for his public defender also, if there is one. And ask the court officers if you can speak with the prosecutor. If you are unable to speak with any of these folks before your boyfriend is brought before the judge, then wait until then. When he is brought out, approach one of the court officers and explain your situation and tell him/her you want to address the judge.

I hope my answer gives you a better understanding of your issues and options. If so, please be sure to rate my answer, since that is the only way I can receive credit.

I wish you a speedy resolution this morning!