How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttyHeather Your Own Question
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 677
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
AttyHeather is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend was arrested for false imprisonment and

Customer Question

my boyfriend was arrested for false imprisonment and domestic violence. Truth is I suffer from severe general anxiety disorder and mild panic disorder that lead me to have an explosive emotion episode (one of many). my boyfriend had zero idea what to do but did the best he could, tried to keep me from getting behind a wheel and from hurting myself. there is no violence, no fear, my anxiety makes me inconsolable and aggressive and when the police arrived they focused on the fact he was keeping me inside the house "against" my will and did not consider the context of the situation. Can i get his charges dropped if I tell me side at his bail hearing?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 8 months ago.

Hi! I'm Heather. I've been a practicing attorney for the last 15 years, and I'd be happy to assist you for informational and educational purposes.

Expert:  AttyHeather replied 8 months ago.

You won't be able to speak to the judge at the bail hearing. You should probably figure out who the prosecutor is before the hearing, and see if he will speak to you and state that you are the victim and that you were not assaulted, and ask if he is willing to dismiss the case. If your boyfriend was just acting to protect you from hurting yourself, then that wouldn't be an assault. So find the prosecutor and talk to him.

Does that help?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How do I find them?
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 8 months ago.

You can go to court the day of the hearing, and the prosecutor will be the man or woman who is the attorney sitting at the table speaking to the judge about the cases, and he or she will be the attorney who speaks for the state on your boyfriend's case. Watch and see who that is, and try to talk to him or her when court is over.