Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Drug Offender unfair sentence

Customer Question
Drug Offender unfair sentence
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/13/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 1 year ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please give some background so that I can understand your concern.

When was this person sentenced? Did he take a plea or was he found guilty at trial? Has he appealed? State or Federal conviction? If state, which state?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey Zoey, just inquiring about steps to take to get my mom out of a florida state prison. She is a first time drug offender serving a 30 year sentence. She has been in for 11 years and I believe her sentence is ridiculous. Any paths I can take? Any information will help.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She was found guilty at trial, state conviction florida

She had 30 days to appeal her case on the basis that her sentence was unduly harsh, among any other relevant grounds. At this point, however, unless there is newly discovered evidence which could not have possibly have been known at the time of her trial, or unless the law under which she was sentenced has been found unconstitutional or there was some other due process violation, her time to appeal this conviction is long past.

That means about the only remedy still available to her would be to apply to the governor for a commutation of sentence. The application form is here. It's a longshot, but unfortunately, all post-conviction remedies are longshots.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD