How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 13902
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son got a speeding ticket 22-29 moh over speed limit. He

Customer Question

My son got a speeding ticket 22-29 moh over speed limit. He will plead guilty however I would like to know if a plea agreement can be made with the prosecutor when we go to court? This happened right before his 18th birthday. We live in NJ.
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Somerset, NJ
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: A court appearnce was not required; but I ( his mom) requested to speak to prosecutor so they gave me a court date December 5.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My son has no other offenses on his record.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 11 months ago.

Yes, a plea deal may be possible, especially given that he has no other offenses. When he gets to court and checks in, he needs to tell them that he wishes to speak to the prosecutor. Once he works out a deal with the prosecutor, he'll wait for the case to be called. The paperwork will be handed to the judge, who will again go over whatever deal he worked out, and ask him a few questions (e.g., did he agree to this voluntarily, is he under the influence of drugs or alcohol, does he have a mental illness, etc). He then goes and pays the fee. A person can plea down their points two times in 5 years under NJ law.

If he can't pay the fees all at once (and NJ will hit him hard with surcharges and a penalty) -- and sometimes, pleading down a ticket results in a higher fine, too --he should ask if he can pay the fee over time. That's usually not a problem and the court will set up a payment plan. He just needs to make sure he makes all payments on schedule, because if he doesn't the court can issue a warrant for his arrest.

He can go to traffic school in New Jersey and the DMV will erase two points on his record. Here’s a list of accredited defensive driving programs in New Jersey. Some you can do online, and some cost as little as $27.

If you need clarification about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating. Thank you!

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 11 months ago.

Was there anything I could clarify for you or additional information you needed? If so, kindly REPLY and I'm happy to help further! If not, please kindly remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars at the top of the page and pressing SUBMIT.

Attorneys on Just Answer are not employees of this site, and are not paid until you leave a positive rating for our time and assistance. Thank you!