How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 37854
Experience:  30 years legal experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm on parole in New York State for a fraud conviction. I

Customer Question

I'm on parole in New York State for a fraud conviction. I was released a year ago and have 2 years parole. I was allowed to transfer to California when released through Interstate Compact. In California I only had write-ins once a month.I moved to New Orleans in May without telling California parole--I just continued to do my write-ins and had no problem.Somebody turned me in and told California I'm in New Orleans. I expect them to violate me today.Once violated, does this case remain in California or go back to New York where it originated?To what lengths would Louisiana look for me? Do they care about a NY/CA parole violator?I know someone with an outstanding arrest warrant in California who now lives in Texas. He's been arrested in Texas but they don't extradite him to Cali on the warrant. Would Louisiana offer the same protection if I was pulled over for a traffic ticket?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon,

It's Doug again. Please know that I answer your questions in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. Rating me costs you nothing as you are a subscription customer. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you. Please be sure to rate my service.

When NY transferred your parole to CA that made CA solely responsible for your parole term and NY is out of the picture. If you are violated and caught, then it will be the state of CA that deals with the violation. Again, NY is no longer in the picture.

And yes, the state of Louisiana does care----but they are not going to hunt for you. If you pop up on their radar because you are stopped, then you will be arrested. CA will not extradite every violator and much depends on your parole officer and whether he pushes for the extradition.

By the way, it was not Texas protecting your friend from extradition. It was CA that didn't bother to seek to extradite him.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,



Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.


Is there anything else I can assist you with today?