How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nisha Jones, Esq. Your Own Question
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 739
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Nisha Jones, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is 24 years old and he got a ticket for unlawful

Customer Question

Hello, My son is 24 years old and he got a ticket for unlawful possession of marijuana. There is a court day that he has to appear. Is it possible just to pay fine without appearance or the appearance to court is must. Thank you
JA: Is this a civil court case or criminal court?
Customer: criminal court
JA: In what state did this occur? And has an attorney been consulted?
Customer: Brooklyn, NY No attorney
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No previous record for this
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. I've reviewed your question, please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Your son must absolutely appear in court since he is the defendant in the case. This is important because if he does not appear, a bench warrant can be issued for his arrest, and he will end up being arrested and booked for failure to appear in court.

The only caveat is if he has an attorney representing him who will appear on his behalf, but I know you mentioned he does not have an attorney, so again yes, he should make sure to appear in court.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can continue our conversation for free after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!