How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27726
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Friend name is ***** and He committed a crime of

Customer Question

My Friend name is ***** and He committed a crime of international fraud of IRS scam.
US attorney offered him one year and one day in prison so can you tell me how many days and nights? is this day is 12 hours or 24 hours? and also he is on student visa so is this case effect ***** student visa? this crime is first crime and as a Federal point he has a 18 points so what they will do with him?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 11 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 11 months ago.

You have already told me what he is being offered, a year and a day (366 calendar days) in jail. If he takes the offer, he can expect to only serve about 10 1/2 months of that.

And yes, unfortunately, if he's convicted this will affect his student visa. He can expect deportation at the end of his sentence as the IRS scam is a fraud offense.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 11 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry he has a 15 federal points so anything is possible to jail to probation
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 11 months ago.

Yes, but the government is not offering him probation. So he can fight the case and risk more prison if he's convicted, he can take the 366 days, after which he will likely face deportation, or he can try to have his lawyer negotiate something better.