How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 9905
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was arrested for assault in New York State. I have a

Customer Question

Hello. I was arrested for assault in New York State. I have a letter of dispensation. I was arrested and convicted of petit larceny in New York State. Both incidents were over 20 years ago. Will I be able to become a registered nurse in New York State?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: New York State. Over 20 years ago
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Should I have the exact dates ?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  legalgems replied 8 months ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can I become a civil service employee with my record?
Expert:  legalgems replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your patience as I reviewed the information.

Fortunately NY reviews applicants on a case by case basis; their goal is to determine if the applicant is of sound moral character. Ideally a person would have a completely clean background but that is not always the case, so it is not uncommon for a person to have some type of criminal record.

They will evaluate the candidate's application and determine, if there is indication of conviction, if it is relevant, and will typically look at 2 main things - ie the severity of the conviction, and the duration-how long ago the conviction occurred. If it was 2 decades ago and there have been no other incidents, the person is generally deemed to have paid their debt to society and so long as they meet all other requirements then there is no restriction to being licensed.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can my record disappear like it was never there?
Expert:  legalgems replied 8 months ago.

The idea is to look at the applicant's overall moral character.

One can file to get it expunged only if it is a drug related offense and the individual successfully completed drug rehab.

For other convictions there is not similar relief.

Expert:  legalgems replied 8 months ago.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;
if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answer.

Good luck on your nursing career!

Related Criminal Law Questions