How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nisha Jones, Esq. Your Own Question
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 672
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Nisha Jones, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I've been subpoenaed to appear in court to testify against

Customer Question

I've been subpoenaed to appear in court to testify against my sister and her codependence at the time of this crime I was incarcerated and I don't understand why I've been subpoenaed
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Good evening Mike, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship.

Is this an Arizona criminal case that you're being subpoenaed to?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not sure why you would have been subpoenaed to testify against her if you were incarcerated at the time of the alleged crime.

I do want to let you know that even though you were subpoenaed, you don't necessarily have to appear in court, again especially since you were not a witness to the alleged incident. Subpoenas often state that there's a legal penalty if you don't appear in court in testify, but I've never once witnessed someone sought out and arrested on this basis. Technically, you could perhaps be held in contempt, however as I stated I've never seen someone sought out and criminally penalized for the failure to appear for a subpoena (unless they were the actual defendant in the case).

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can continue our conversation for free after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can i request a public defender to represent me in this
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hi Mike, public defenders are reserved only for the defendants in a criminal case (who financially qualify to have one). So no, you would be unable to have one.

If you're interested in having an attorney, I'm sure you could call around to some local defense attorneys, and the cost would be very low/affordable for something like this matter.

Just a gentle reminder, please take a moment to kindly rate me using 3 stars or more as it's the only way I'm compensated for my time here at JustAnswer, the experts on the site do not receive a salary and are only compensated if you leave a positive rating. Thanks so much, I appreciate it!

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!