How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27758
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Arrested for public drunkeness and harassment and issued

Customer Question

hello. Arrested for public drunkeness and harassment and issued summons for both charges. what kind of trouble am i going to be in?
JA: Has a warrant notice been sent? Is this a first-time offense for harassment?
Customer: no warrant notice has been sent, just the summons i was issued when released in the am after the incident. arrested for simple assault when i was 19 (23 years ago), but never for harassment
JA: In what state did this occur? And has an attorney been consulted?
Customer: PA, no, I haven't talked to an attorney
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: are these missdomenors or fellonys?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 11 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 11 months ago.

In Pennsylvania, harassment and public intoxication are typcially neither misdemeanors or felonies. They are summary offenses. The 23-year old record should not stand in the way of resolving these matters, which you could likely do with minimal damage to your record. A jail sentence is so unlikely as to be nearly impossible, so long as you show up on your court date and carry out any court mandates.

Get a lawyer for this, as they can be charged as misdemeanors if they are claiming that your behavior was outlandish and endangered others. If they are misdemeanors and can be reduced to summary offenses, you'll be able to expunge them and if you can get a deferred adjudication to resolve the case (supervision, fines, community service, alcohol treatment or counseling if necessary) you can then get the case dismissed and get it off of your record quicker.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 11 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.