How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26766
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son was admitted on a 1013 and now they tell us that the

Customer Question

My son was admitted on a 1013 and now they tell us that the 72 hour hold does not count weekends
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: Georgia
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The place he is in is like something you see on a tv horror show. No one cares and they are trying to keep him longer for insurance purposes
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 8 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 8 months ago.

Unfortunately, the Georgia law does provide that the 72 hours for psychiatric evaluation does not include weekends or holidays. So there is nothing you can do to get him out earlier.

After that time has elapsed there must be a hearing. At that point he would be entitled to counsel if they found that involuntary treatment was still required and you wanted to try to transfer him elsewhere or get him released.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 8 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Related Criminal Law Questions