Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I have a friend was released this past september, now a

Customer Question
hi, I have a friend...
hi, I have a friend was released this past september , now a convicted felon. I am trying to help him find resources as far as financial aid for housing, clothes for work, etc. He already has received medicaid, and the Food Stamp Card, just wondering if there's anything more out there. He received his AA inside.
JA: What are the exact charges, and where does the matter stand as of now?
Customer: Murder, and Bodily harm with intent to hurt, or kill. He is on house arrest until Dec. 3, and on parole until 2019.
JA: In what state did this occur? And has an attorney been consulted?
Customer: Illinois, and not as far as I know, because he doesn't have the funds
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I I am not sure ok thankyou
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
11/6/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Does your friend still reside in Illinois?

As far as finding work, I'm sure you know that many employers do not look favorably upon hiring convicted felons. In addition to that, the charges that he was convicted of are pretty serious, so he also has that working against him. Nevertheless, I know that there are some employers who are still willing to hire individuals with a criminal record in order to help them get their life back on track, and that will be based on the individual employer.

A good resource in Illinois for finding jobs is the Illinois Job Link, you post your resume so that potential employers can find you. Here's a link to it, I would recommend that he get started there. Even though he's on house arrest until December, the Judge can still modify those conditions so as to permit him to work if he's able to find a new job. Working for web-based companies is also a possibility.

https://illinoisjoblink.illinois.gov/ada/r/

It's great that he's already applied for and gotten Medicaid and food stamp assistance. I do want to let you know that unfortunately there's not usually very much out there in the way of assisting folks who are trying to recover from their criminal record (this definitely needs to change/ improve for the better, but sadly this is still the way it is right now).

There are however probably some of your local churches that will give a one time stipend to those in need-- for example a gas voucher, or food voucher. You'll have to contact your local churches and ask around to see who has those sorts of programs in place. Additionally, there are other organizations like the St. Francis House or the Salvation Army that can help with donating nice clothes for interviews, work etc.

I know that may not be alot, but it's at least somewhere to start. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can continue our conversation for free after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer