How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26782
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I turned in a copied prescription with original dr signature

Customer Question

I turned in a copied prescription with original dr signature and employer call the dr. I was fired I turned different one s around 5 times. The dr knows this my employer told them. I had a person give them to me. The dr told if I tell who I got it from then I will be fine. They just want the original copy. I handed them evertything and we met without lawyer and I told them everything. -am I done for and am I facing felonies and jail? It was never bought or used for prescription drugs? Can they track the presecrtion to show it was never used for drugs?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 8 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now.

In what US state is this?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 8 months ago.

What you did was a crime, in most states, a felony. However, if you were cooperating with the authorities and gave up the name of the person who actually falsified the prescription, the prosecutor may be willing to go easy on you in trade for the information.

Yes, there is a state data base, which should show that that prescription number was never filled. However, turning in the false prescription would still be a criminal offense.

IN my experience if you wanted to resolve this case without going to trial, probation would be the likely plea offer. People who get themselves into a situation like this generally have a substance abuse dependency. Drug Court might even be a possible option, which would allow a defendant to get treatment and ultimately work off his conviction by succeeding at turning his life around.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Pennsylvania. I don't have a drug problem but I will do whatever. I'm cooperating they just want to make sure nothing else is out there. I hope they can research it because I only used it for work. I'm so worried because I don't want to ruin my life over dr excuses.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 8 months ago.

Doctors and pharmacists prescriptions go into a state data base. The doctor's name and prescription number would be entered into the computer when it is received at the pharmacy. So they should be able to see that you never obtained drugs with the prescription.

That said, the possession of the forgery is a criminal offense. It would appear to be a misdemeanor of the first degree, which means it has a maximum possible penalty of 5 years of prison. If you are charged, howver, and the state does not wish to reward you for your cooperation, Probation would still be the most likely outcome unless you took the matter all the way to trial and lost the case.

You need to have a lawyer. Let him know you've cooperated so that if you've been promised a break, he can see that you get it.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 8 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Related Criminal Law Questions