How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26845
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a phone call yesterday from a DHR food assistance

Customer Question

I received a phone call yesterday from a DHR food assistance worker from the Montgomery Alabama office stating he had questions about my food assistance case, I no longer receive food assistance so I am not sure why they are calling me?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: alabama I was a single mom of 2, I made the mistake of marrying a man who is a controlling, absuvie, psychotic alcoholic and we have live separately more often than together. During the the last time I was set to renew my case, I was sent in the form, then changed jobs, a local caseworker called me and said that my employment information was incorrect and I did not report my spouse living in the household on the form.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I just received this phone call yesterday and the man left a voicemail
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 8 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now.

What is your question with regard to this?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't know why they are calling me stating they have questions, or if I should call back?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 8 months ago.

Thank you. Give me a few minutes to type up a reply.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 8 months ago.

My best guess based on what you said is that DHS has determined it has overpaid you in the past based on their investigation into your employment information and your failure to report your husband's income. They are going to want their money back AND they may or may not be looking to have you charged with benefits fraud.

If they suspect you of fraud and you don't cooperate with the investigator, they will have no information on which to change their position. They will turn the file over to the state for possible prosecution. If you have nothing that you can really say in your defense, anything you say to them if you call them back can be used against you.

You can call them back and see what they want. They may just want you to turn over records to them. If they want to discuss a possible fraud or have you come in for a hearing, you would be entitled to have a lawyer with you.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 8 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.