Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I had a felony in 1998. I plead guilty to a count of mail

fraud. Can I get my right...
I had a felony in 1998. I plead guilty to a count of mail fraud.
Can I get my right to own firearms?
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/2/2016
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer

Hello. In what state was your conviction? Was it in federal court?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Arizona

Was it in a federal court?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
US District Court
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
January 1998, five years probation
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can't afford to spend extra on phone call at this time. Can you advise me or not?

Thank you for the additional information.

Unfortunately, the fact that it was in federal court makes it basically impossible to get your firearm rights back, unfortunately. While many individual states have ways that you can get a conviction off of your record (which is basically how firearm rights are restored...no conviction on your record means you are not prohibited) but the federal government has not created a way for people to do this. There is no federal expungement law, so the only way to restore firearm rights that were taken because of a federal conviction is by getting a presidential pardon.

https://www.justice.gov/pardon/frequently-asked-questions-concerning-executive-clemency

The link to get a pardon application is here. https://www.justice.gov/pardon/application-forms

Unfortunately, as I'm sure you can guess, getting a presidential pardon is very difficult.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Unfortunately probably very expensive

Well, it is free to apply, and you can actually do the application yourself without a lawyer. It is just difficult because only a small percentage of presidential pardons are actually granted. They are typically cases where there is a political issue at play (say where individuals were receiving life sentences for possessing crack cocaine), or people who have political connections, so it is definitely more difficult to get a pardon federally.

Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer