How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 10035
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Once a person signs a plea agreement with the federal public

Customer Question

once a person signs a plea agreement with the federal public defenders office can he hire another attorney before he gets sentenced?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: montana
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: well he's been incarcerated since may but his public defender had him sign an agreement for 20 yrs top and bottom
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: well he gave up his rights and confessed to a crime which i think 20 yrs is kinda steep
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  legalgems replied 9 months ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  legalgems replied 9 months ago.

Yes one can hire a personal attorney and have the public defender file a withdrawal, with the new attorney substituting in;

a plea agreement can be breached- meaning that either the prosecutor or the defendant essentially changes their mind. If the defendant breaches it, the prosecutor will typically ask the court to revoke the plea, and the process will begin anew. The defendant can also formally withdraw the plea, and it is up to the judge whether to accept it.

This is called a "change of plea" and is typically done before the judge signs off on it.

A private attorney is usually encouraged in criminal matters because they tend to have more time to invest in the case.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.