Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I work as a pizza delivery driver and i am thinking of

Customer Question
getting a stun gun do...
I work as a pizza delivery driver and i am thinking of getting a stun gun do you need a permit in florida
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And has any official paperwork been filed?
Customer: Florida
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
10/31/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law

Hello. I will help you today. I have been an attorney for 27 years. I am reviewing your question and will be back to you shortly.

If you carry a stun gun for self-defense purposes, this is legal and you don't need a license. Here is what the law says:

790.01 Unlicensed carrying of concealed weapons or concealed firearms.—

(1) Except as provided in subsection (3), a person who is not licensed under s. 790.06 and who carries a concealed weapon or electric weapon or device on or about his or her person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

(2) Except as provided in subsection (3), a person who is not licensed under s. 790.06 and who carries a concealed firearm on or about his or her person commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

(3) This section does not apply to:

(a) A person who carries a concealed weapon, or a person who may lawfully possess a firearm and who carries a concealed firearm, on or about his or her person while in the act of evacuating during a mandatory evacuation order issued during a state of emergency declared by the Governor pursuant to chapter 252 or declared by a local authority pursuant to chapter 870. As used in this subsection, the term “in the act of evacuating” means the immediate and urgent movement of a person away from the evacuation zone within 48 hours after a mandatory evacuation is ordered. The 48 hours may be extended by an order issued by the Governor.

b) A person who carries for purposes of lawful self-defense, in a concealed manner:

1. A self-defense chemical spray.

2. A nonlethal stun gun or dart-firing stun gun or other nonlethal electric weapon or device that is designed solely for defensive purposes.

(4) This section does not preclude any prosecution for the use of an electric weapon or device, a dart-firing stun gun, or a self-defense chemical spray during the commission of any criminal offense under s. 790.07, s. 790.10, s. 790.23, or s. 790.235, or for any other criminal offense.

However, you cannot carry a stun gun if you are a convicted felon or convicted of a juvenile crime that would have been a felony had it been committed by an adult, and you are under the age of 24.

Also, anyone under 16 cannot carry a stun gun.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I will be happy to help more. If you are satisfied with my help, please rate me by clicking on the stars.

Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady