How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marc Your Own Question
Marc, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 344
Experience:  Licensed Attorney at Law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Marc is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I be removed from sex offender registration if i had no

Customer Question

can I be removed from sex offender registration if i had no victum on a online solicitation of a minor pleaded down to carnal knowledge of a juvenile
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Marc replied 9 months ago.

Hello Jerry. My name is Marc. I'm a licensed attorney and I will do my best to answer your question. Can you first please tell me whether you were convicted for felony or misdemeanor carnal knowledge? If felony, then you cannot be removed from registration for at least 15 years. If misdemeanor, there is no requirement to be on the registration. Please let me know so I can answer your question more precisely. Thanks.


Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Lafayette la yes its a felony I was told if I stayed out of trouble I could get off in 10
Expert:  Marc replied 9 months ago.

Yes - you are correct. I am assuming that, since there was only one victim, you were classified under the Tier 1 category? If so, since LA is one of the few states that has the same requirements as the federal law (the Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act), you can indeed petition for removal after 10 years.

FYI - as a former prosecutor who used to review such petitions, I warmly recommend that you retain an attorney to advocate for you in this endeavor. In fact, you may well be able to find an attorney or organization that will do it for free. The prosecutor will have the right to oppose your petition, and courts are often not sympathetic to petitioners in these cases. Indeed, they can be quite unfair and will even deny a petition simply based on some procedural error. You would then have to appeal the decision, which is a long, onerous process. In sum - don't go it alone here!

I hope I've answered your question (although it seems that you already had fairly accurate knowledge of the subject). If I've been of any help at all, please rate my answer, since that is the only way I can receive credit.

Meanwhile, good luck to you in this effort!