How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27713
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Just left an employer from which embezzelment occured. I

Customer Question

Just left an employer from which embezzelment occured. I have not been accused yet and dont know if it will happen but would like to know what I can do to defend myself without facing jail time
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 11 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 11 months ago.

How much money were you alleged to have taken? Have you made any statements to your employers or to the police?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
30k no statements have been made
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 11 months ago.

Thank you.

If you've made no statements, don't make any to anyone other than the person you hire as your lawyer, because anything that you say to anyone other than your lawyer can be used against you in court.

While nothing is happening, you need to find yourself a criminal lawyer that you think you may want to use in the worst case scenario. You don't have to retain him or her yet, since there is nothing for him or her to do. But now, when there is no rush, is a good time to get some free or low cost criminal consultations so that you will be ready with a name and phone number if you are charged and a lawyer will already be up-to-speed on your case and could step right in to protect your rights.

This would be a felony charge, and prison would be possible upon conviction, along with restitution to the victim. But it typically, since it's in the interest of the state and the complainant to get the complainant paid back as quickly as possible, if you wanted to resolve the case with a plea instead of a trial, an offer of felony probation is generally available. That would require you to be supervised and stay out of further trouble, but you would be at liberty to work and thus pay off the complainant. Probation would monitor the payments to make sure they were being made.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 11 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.