How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 6391
Experience:  20 years experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Esquire Grady: In Ohio, No, Yes, I was convicted of 1 count

Customer Question

Hello Esquire Grady:
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: In Ohio
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, I was convicted of 1 count of gross sexual imposition in 1988; sentenced to prison for 4 - 10 years. I did all of the 10 years. I found to my dismay that the judge could have sentenced me to 5 years or , he had at his discretion other than prison. I found out today that it is unconstitutional in Ohio law to send a person to prison as mandatory since I've never been arrested for any previous arrest for a sexual nature. Made bond and came to trial as my plea was not guilty. In the end, I did serve the ten years...
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 8 months ago.

Unfortunately, the right method to challenge erroneous judicial ruling is to file an appeal and this is usually done within 30 days of the judgment. Also, you will find that in practice judges enjoy broad immunity from suits; even in the face of a constitutional violation. This is despite what you may read to the contrary on the web.

I know this is not the answer you wanted to hear, but I am assuming that you are paying for a professional and honest answer.

Please Note:

(1) The information I provide is general in nature and for educational purposes only. For example, it may help you identify the scope of receiving unbundled legal services from a local lawyer. It should not be construed as “legal advice” or as the rendition of “legal services” on any subject matter. I am not a specialist in any field. This information may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction and is not guaranteed to be correct or complete. No attorney-client relationship is established without a signed written agreement and our communications are not confidential. Please do not act or fail to act based on this information alone. If you need legal advice or services regarding a specific matter, you should consult in-person with a local lawyer who can guide you after reviewing all the pertinent details of your situation. This disclaimer also applies to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

(3) When we are done, please assign a feedback rating.

Related Criminal Law Questions