Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney
11182422

If someone was in jail when his or her probation was done

Customer Question

if someone was in jail when his or her probation was done with, then why does the jail still hold on to that person until the next court date?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am in wisconsin
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: not about this question.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, my name is Brandon. Probation describes a situation where someone is free from custody but subject to certain conditions. If someone is placed in jail while still on probation, it is because they committed an offense that put them in jail separate from the original offense. For example, let's say that I drove under the influence of alcohol and was sentenced to 1 year of probation. Let's also say that one of the terms of my probation was that I was not to consume alcohol. Then, let's say that one week before the 1 year of probation ends, I am found in public drinking alcohol at a bar. I could be taken into custody for violating my probation and kept past the original 1 year because the violation is its own separate offense.