How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118115
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Due to attempting to apply for a CDL License in CA, I have

Customer Question

Due to attempting to apply for a CDL License in CA, I have discovered I am not able to obtain it, due to a ticket in arizona 27 yrs ago. I originally sent payment for $75.00 in a money order, never heard anything about it till now. It was a speeding ticket the cop pushed me into when I attempted to pass a deisel, turned out to be a chain of deisels, for which I attempted to slow down and return to my original place behind them, but the officer wouldn't let me when he was behind me, I had to speed to get ahead of the truck to get in between them; the policeman wrote me a speeding ticket and told me to mail it in, as I was heading to Taft, CA. Now it's back to haunt me and it wasn't fair to begin with. Can they make me pay again and with amplified penalties? It will be a hardship since I'm in Bakersfield, Ca. almost 28 yrs later.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm working for Kern County Mental Health and having a CDL is necessary for my job now, this is interfering w/my employment requirement, which is new.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, if you have no proof of the payment, it is your burden of proof, you would legally have to pay again. Even if it is 28 years ago, legally you have the burden to either prove the payment OR you have to go to court in AZ and file to vacate the conviction and fine and get the court to absolve you of that. So, either you pay them or you need to go to court in AZ and get the court to vacate the conviction and waive the fine.