How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27425
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was arrested for charge of prostitution but I did not

Customer Question

I was arrested for charge of prostitution but I did not agree to any sexual activity for money can I win the case?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: NJ
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I can't find a good one especially experienced in this charge
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes can he help me fight this and drop all charges As well as clear my record
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 11 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Please help me.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Please write to me
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 11 months ago.

Please be patient while I compose an answer for you. These questions take time to reply to and type.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 11 months ago.

It is not possible for me to know whether you can win this case or not, because I am in no position to see the evidence that the state has against you or do my own investigation of the facts.

However, according to Section 2C:34-1 of the New Jersey penal code,

"Prostitution is sexual activity with another person in exchange for something of economic value, or the offer or acceptance of an offer to engage in sexual activity in exchange for something of economic value."

You don't have to prove your innocence. It is the state which would have to make out the elements of this crime beyond a reasonable doubt. So if they could not show that you had sex for or agreed to exchange sexual services for something of value, you could not be convicted of this charge.

All experienced criminal lawyers handle prostitution cases. If you can afford a criminal lawyer but don't know where to find one, you can contact the NJ State Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service. If you can't afford a lawyer, you can plead not guilty at your arraignment and ask the judge to appoint you a free lawyer.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I understand but I would not hire public defendant as they are on the side of the state. I would need to find a professional lawyer who has experience in my specific charge
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 11 months ago.

Public defenders are NOT prosecutors, nor do they work for prosecutors. They are full-fledged criminal defense lawyers with the same credentials as members of the private bar. They are only available to defendants who are too poor to be able to afford their own lawyer. If you can pay for a lawyer, you don't qualify for a public defender, so you don't have to concern yourself about it.

However, there is nothing absolutely nothing obscure about what you're charged with. Every experienced criminal defense lawyer has handled many prostitution cases over the span of a career. Call the Bar Association's Referral service -- I've linked you to their website -- and they can find someone for you.