P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
11181181

If you get married in Costa Rica are you considered married

If you get married in Costa Rica are you considered married in the US
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: Texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I'm concerned about someone getting married in Costa Rica so they don't lose their military pension in the United States.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Sorry...can you clarify your question...what does getting married have to do with eligibility for a military pension?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is it legal to get married in Costa Rica so to still get your military pension from a deceased husband?

Hmm...I suspect there may be confusion. There is NO way to receive a military pension AFTER the death of the member. There IS a way to request pension from the VA (veterans administration)...but the VA is not the same as the military...are you referring to a VA pension??

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK my ex-husband is getting married in Costa Rica to a woman and their thoughts are getting married there and she can still receive her deceased husband's military pension is this legal

Again, what pension are we talking about? Her ex's military pension (from the DoD)? Or is it a VA pension? Or do you know?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Idk the details. But they have said they want to get married in Costa Rica so she doesn't lose the money she gets from his pension. He passed away, and she receives monthly income. Is marriage in Costa Rica not honored in Texas ??!

Thanks
I suspect we are talking about a VA pension...since remarriage would end her right to receive the pension. A costa rica marriage WOULD be recognized in TX...and would end her right to receive the pension.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for your help. Who do I contact to let them know they are doing something illegal. Nothing worse than an ex-wife on your ass!!

Sorry...I do not understand...you want to report this to the VA?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If this is illegal and he is taking advantage of yet another woman yes I do want to report it to the VA or whoever can take care of this illegal activity

You could contact the regional office for the region that he lives in and let them know that she is receiving pension that she is not eligible for.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Excellent answers very precise and very timely I really appreciated his help in this matter

Welcome. Thank you for taking the time to accept the answer, I truly appreciate that
phil