Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I had recently seen online that in Jan of 2016, there was

Customer Question
something changed regarding Class X...
I had recently seen online that in Jan of 2016, there was something changed regarding Class X felonies and that some can earn good time in prison. I am having trouble finding the exact information. It also did not state what class x felonies were eligible for this and which ones were not. Can you clarify??
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: illinois and armed robbery/no firearm
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes, is there a way to try and get a sentence reduction?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
10/14/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under the new 2016 IL law, those sentenced to prison for class X felonies, except life in prison and arson, aggravated arson, kidnapping, aggravated kidnapping, aggravated driving under the influence of alcohol, other drug or drugs, or intoxicating compound or compounds, or any combination thereof, or aggravated domestic battery, are entitled to normal good time credits PLUS an additional 30 days good time if they attain a high school diploma while in prison.
Here is the whole statute: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicActs/fulltext.asp?Name=099-0381&GA=99
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer