Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

A detective left his card last night for me to go to the

Customer Question
police station. I wasnt home...
A detective left his card last night for me to go to the police station. I wasnt home but he told my husband for me to go instead of him to come to me. He was a police detective. I should go
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
10/13/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney for over 30 yrs and former prosecutor, and I look forward to assisting you.

Have you called the police department general number (not necessarily the one on the card) to confirm he is actually a detective?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i call
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He work night shift
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He told my husband to go to station he didnt want my neighbor now that something going on

Thank you for the additional information.

Before going in, call and find out what it is about. If he will not tell you then refuse to go in. If you are the target of an investigation then definitely do not go in or speak to him. You are not obligated to make any statements or answer any questions.

If they had probable cause to arrest you , they would have. You do not want to answer any questions and give the the evidence they need.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i can refused to meet him

Absolutely.

You can refuse to meet with him and refuse to answer any questions.

If he has probable cause, he can arrest you, but otherwise, he can not force you to meet with him or answer questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Legally im not going to have no problem even thu he told my husband that i have to go before the come to my house . My husband said that they have paper with him

You can call and ask if they have a warrant. If they do, retain local counsel and arrange to turn yourself in, rather than be arrested. Otherwise, without a warrant, you have no legal obligation to meet with him.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where i can call to see if i have one
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A warrant

Call and ask the detective if he has a warrant and what it is about, without offering any information.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But there is other way to find otherwise than call the detective.

Correct (other than retaining and attorney and having the attorney call the detective for you).

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are all peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No no my question is if i can call like the court or other place to find out
No the court will not be able to tell you anything.
The only one to call is the detective.
Loren, Lawyer