Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Im trying to write a letter to a judge to lift my warrent i

Customer Question
hello im trying to write...
hello im trying to write a letter to a judge to lift my warrent i currently do not live in the state it happened in. i have wrote the judge 3 different times,still nothing can you give me some advice to know what to do next?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: colorado, and i live in Iowa now
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: ive talked to a DA, i dont have enough income to talk to a lawyer.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that i can think of
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/12/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only as we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. I'm sorry to hear of your situation. Please allow me just a few moments to prepare some information for you. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok thank you.

Can you please clarify why the warrant was issued? Was it for a failure to appear in court for a hearing, because you live out-of-state? Or was it a warrant for some other reason.

Thanks, ***** ***** will help me to get you the help you need. I'll wait to hear back.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sir it was for a failure to appear , i called the courts to varify when my court date was , when i was living out of state and they told me nothing was on file. Then nes\xt thing i know i have a warrent out.
I have a great job and im willing to turn my self in but i would not have my job or a place to live if i travel back to colorado.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
mam sorry

My apologies, I've been trying to connect with you for quite some time but have been unable to. I'm not sure if the issue was with the website, or a technical issue on my end. Please allow me just a few more minutes to type up some information to you. Thanks again!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok no promblem

Have you filled out the paperwork to see if you qualify for a public defender? I know you mentioned that finances are tight right now, so you may qualify.

You need an attorney to file a petition on your behalf to have the warrant lifted, explaining the reasons why you missed the court date and about the fact that you live out of state. This is not uncommon; however you want to make sure you have an attorney helping you to ensure that the petition is written, filed, and argued correctly. In addition, the attorney can also request that most of your hearings and even the acceptance of any possible plea agreements take place in absentia. That means that your attorney will be able to appear on your behalf to your court proceedings, so that you don't have to try to fly in for every hearing.

You should qualify for a public defender, so I recommend filling out the qualification paperwork as soon as possible so that they can get to work on your behalf. There are also many defense attorneys that will accept some form of a payment plan, so that's a possibility as well.

In the meantime, you want to make sure you try not to have any incidents with police officers, because once your identification is run through their system, they'll see the existing bench warrant and possibly arrest you, in which case you will then be detained until being extradited back to the county where your case originated. Again, my recommendation would be to have an attorney get to work on this for you as soon as possible, so you don't need to worry about any of the possible negative ramifications I've just listed.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars as this is the only way experts are compensated for our time here on 'just answer'. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can still continue our conversation for free after. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok each so where do I apply for an attorney? In Iowa or Colorado and how to install contact or look up information on finding one. I'm not very good at Laws. Thanks for your help that does help me a lot.

Hello, my apologies, I've been traveling for work this week so my schedule has been a bit different than usual.

You'll need an attorney from Colorado, where the case is taking place. The form to fill out to see if you qualify for a public defender will also be done through the Colorado court where your case is being heard. If for some reason you don't qualify for an attorney, then you'll want to call around to a few local Colorado attorneys and see you can offer you the best rate, and/or a payment plan.

Just a reminder, as I've addressed your concerns and previously answered your question please take a moment to rate me using the stars on this page, as it's the only way I'm compensated for my time, even though you may have paid a deposit to the site. You can still ask me follow-up questions after you rate me. Thanks!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer