Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My nephew is pleading out to a misdemeanor theft and has yet

Customer Question

my nephew is pleading out to a misdemeanor theft and has yet to find out how much restitution he will have to pay. should he still plead out?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. The term "pleading out" can have several meanings:

a) Plead guilty simply and fall on the mercy of the court;

b) Plead guilty within a plea deal for a fixed amount of restitution; or

c) Plead guilty on a deferment option, if offered.

Which of these are you referring to?

Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.
Hello! Just touching base to see if you still needed an answer and if you could reply to my query. Thanks!