How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 2983
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have to register as a sex offender for 15 years in

Customer Question

I have to register as a sex offender for 15 years in Wisconsin for sexual exploitation of a child with digital caption, and I was sentenced to a total of 9 years (2 1/2 in, and 6 1/2 out. I was convicted in November of 2006, so I completed my sentence last January. I have now 14 more years of registration. Is there any way to be removed from the sex offender registration early?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Wisconsin
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, but I did attain one while on extended supervision because of parole officer threats.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I completed 2 college degree since release out of prison, and I have a clean record since, and my victim's family is in favor of my release off of the registry.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using

The answer to that is no unless you get your record expunged which is not possible in your case as you have served your time and it was more than 6 years. To have a conviction expunged, you must file a Petition to Expunge Court Record of Conviction in the same court that convicted you. I n Wisconsin, a court may expunge your conviction record only if:

(1) you were under the age of 25 at the time you committed the crime

(2) the crime carried a maximum period of imprisonment of six years or less, and

(3) you successfully completed the terms of your sentence.

(Wisconsin Statutes § 973.015.)

There are three methods for removing an individual from the Registry, or making his/her records "inactive":

(1) Period of Registration Completed: Registrants who have completed their required term of registration, 15 years following expiration from sentence, will have their records made "Inactive" on the Registry. These individuals will receive a "Notice of Termination" of their obligation to register.

(2) Record Expungement: Registrants may request expungement of all pertinent information in the Registry on the grounds that his/her conviction, delinquency, adjudication or commitment has been reversed, set aside or vacated. The DOC must purge all information in the Registry concerning an individual when DOC receives the confirmation.

(3) Death: Death of a registrant will be verified by the Registration Specialist. Upon verification, these records will be made "Inactive" in the Registry.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated. See link for how to rate:

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?