How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27456
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it possible to get my gun rites back? I was charged of a

Customer Question

Is it possible to get my gun rites back? I was charged of a simple non violent felony 15 years ago.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 11 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 11 months ago.

In what US state were you convicted of the felony?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It was a class e felony and I didn't spend any time in prison
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 11 months ago.

So sorry for the delay. I am still waking up here.

No matter how old the felony is, whether it's violent or non-violent, or whether you served any time in jail at all, if the crime allows for you to be sentenced to more than a year of incarceration you lose your state and Federal gun rights. Tennessee's policy's with regard to restoration of rights after a felony conviction are harsh, unfortunately. The only way to possibly restore your rights in Tennessee would be through a pardon from your governor.

Even that will not work to restore gun rights in all cases. An Opinion paper from the Tennessee Attorney General holds that even after a pardon, if your felony involved "the use or attempted use of force, violence, or a deadly weapon," or your conviction was for a felony drug arrest, a pardon would not be sufficient to restore your rights. Op. Att'y Gen. No. 84-063 (1984).

A pardon is useful whether or not it restores your gun rights, and if your felony is very old, you might be a good candidate for one. Here's the application for one.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 11 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.