Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

Me and my friend are in a situation, we worked for a company

Customer Question

me and my friend are in a situation, we worked for a company and the payroll lady was given us extra money and herself as well, I guess what we want to know, what would or charge would be?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Criminal Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: sorry I only have cash
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: virginia
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no, we are trying to wait to see what the employer is going to do, thus this far no charges yet, but the cops have been there
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Criminal Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: ok
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 10 months ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Please be patient while I research and compose a reply for you.

If the woman from payroll is taking company money and diverting it to herself and some friends, then she's embezzling, which is a theft offense. And you and the others who are receiving this knowing that you're not entitled to are part of a conspiracy to steal money from the company and can face the same sentence as the woman from payroll.

How serious the crime is would depend on the amount of money that was misappropriated from the company. Typically, though, this would be a felony charge, as I'm sure that more than $200 was involved. Felony theft offense could carry up to 20 years in prison in Virginia, though probation would be possible depending on the facts and circumstances of the case and the criminal history of the defendant.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.