Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I am charged for shoplifting under $200 today in Maryland

Customer Question
Hi I am charged for...
Hi I am charged for shoplifting under $200 today in Maryland Can I fight this? As I had no intention of shoplifting and it was a stupid mistake
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: This is my first time offense No I have not spoken to a lawyer yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/7/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law replied 1 year ago
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Did you make any admissions?

Are you able to hire a private criminal defense attorney to represent you in your pending criminal case?

What is your age?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am able to hire criminal defense attorney.
I am 28 years old.
This is my first time offense and was not intentional but a mistake.
What do you mean by making any admissions?

Thank you for your follow up.

Did you admit to the police or anyone else that you shoplifted or agreed with the charge?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They did not give me a chance to say anything but gave me the citation and said appear in court and explain in front of judge
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But I did tell the store manager that I made a silly mistake and have been a regular customer at grocery store and just not intentionally forgot and intend on paying the full cost with fine

Thank you for your follow up.

Can you briefly describe what happened before you were charged with shoplifting?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was at a grocery store where I usually shop..I was having a fight with my boyfriend and was looking to talk to him and had no network..within all these thoughts..I forgot to pay for my groceries and walked out of the store. A guard walked up and asked me to come to his office and asked do you know what you did. I said no and then when he told me that I did not pay- it struck me that I forgot to pay. Manager called cops and they gave me citation
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I know that I did make a mistake but I had no intention to shoplift. I am software engineer with good pay and can very much afford what I took.

Thank you for your follow up.

What stature does your citation state you have violated? Can you please given me the actual statute that should be listed on your citation?

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am not sure. Where can I find this information?

Thank you for your follow up.

The offense statute should be written on the citation.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is not very clear on citation. I have attached it for your reference

Unfortunately, I am unable to determine the actual crime that you are charged with, however, generally, it would be a good idea to plead not guilty to the crime and to hire an experienced local criminal defense attorney, who might be able to get the case dismissed on some type of legal technicality, get the defendant acquitted at trial or in most cases involving first time offenders, might be able to get the defendant entered into a first time offender program which means that once defendant completes the program, the criminal charge would be dismissed.

You can find an experienced and skilled local criminal law attorney by using this established and reputable attorney information / referral websites:

www.lexmundi.com
www.martindale.com
www.lawyers.com
www.legalmatch.com
When, choosing a local attorney to represent you, it would be a good idea to choose someone who has a practice exclusively dedicated to criminal law, has at least 10 years of experience and handled similar matters and also regularly practices before the court located in the jurisdiction where your matter might be heard.
I wish you the best of luck!

Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law