Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Is a judge allowed to alter the restitution amount in a

Customer Question
Douqette Alternative decision if the...
Is a judge allowed to alter the restitution amount in a Douqette Alternative decision if the defendant files a motion with the clerk and goes before a magistrate judge claiming inability to meet sentencing dollar guidelines without the judge conferring with the victim or alerting the victim that a change is being considered by the court.In this instance,the decision was made without probations knowledge or the victims.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
10/3/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Legal-Kal, Criminal Defense Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Legal-Kal
Legal-Kal, Criminal Defense Lawyer

Good morning Stephen:

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to provide general information regarding your question. As a reminder, all information provided here is for informational purposes only.

The short answer to your question is "yes."

The role of a judge, when it comes to sentencing an individual (including any sentences that involve restitution orders) is to apply the sentencing laws in just manner. The role of the judge is not to advocate for the interests of one party over the other (i.e, a judge cannot advocate on behalf of a victim or a defendant).

What this means is that the judge is not/nor cannot be in the position of conferring with victims or alerting them as to changes in the case or sentencing. Essentially, the judge is just the umpire who calls balls and strikes.

Rather, it is the specific District Attorney's Office that advocates on behalf of the victim and generally alerts victims to changes regarding the case. The District Attorney's Office is the representative of the people and, in criminal cases, representatives of the victims in the action. As such, they would be the ones responsible for informing victims to certain changes in a case, not the judge.

So, the answer to your question would be "no," a judge is not required by law to inform or alert victims of changes in the status or matters in a criminal case.

Questions based on this? If so, please ask and I'd be happy to answer further or clarify anything provided here.

If not, please remember that experts here are not employees of JustAnswer and assist individuals on a good-faith basis. Experts here are credited only when an individual clicks ACCEPT and rates the assistance provided (just the assistance and not the law as experts have no control over that) with three stars or higher. Your cooperation in this regard would be greatly appreciated!

***General information provided here is for educational and informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, nor should it be relied upon as such. It is always wise to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction as they would be in the best position to assist***

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The probation officer for the defendant was as surprised as I was.Neither was contacted by the DA'S office and the judge reduced the restitution by 50%.If there is no communication to victim or probation,my guess would be that I should have the right to make a motion to appeal the decision.

You would not have the right to appeal any decision as you were not/are not an actual party to the case (the case is "the people of the state of _____ v. Defendant _______"). Only the Defendant and the district attorney's office (as the representative of the people) have standing in the case and have standing to appeal.

A court can modify a sentencing matter (as it already has) but the issue has to be brought back to the court's call and judge's attention. The only way this can be done is by any of the parties (again, the DA's office or the defendant) requesting the matter or issue to be re-heard by the judge.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What are my options if the DA'S office refuses to address the judge?During the entire 2 year case,I had to direct and basically jump start the DA constantly to get this to trial.The judge asked if we wanted a jury trial,as the defendant is a repeat offender,and has served prison time for the same offense in the recent past.His track record surrounding this type of offense is well known to this court and the leniency afforded the defendant is totally one sided.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The Douqette Alternative was a kind offering punishing me even longer as my restitution would have taken 60 months.Now it will take 98 months,totally unacceptable.

That is very unfortunate to hear. However, since a victim is technically not a party to a criminal action (as crazy as it may sound, it is the state of the law), there really aren't many options besides continuously nudging the DA's office into taking certain action. This may even include attempting to speak to a supervisor or other individual who has more authority in the office then the specific individual(s) you may have been speaking to in the past.

Also, many counties have victim "liaison" departments and individuals. These departments/individuals are usually there to help or assist a victim one way or the other. Possibly reaching out to these individuals/departments, if applicable, may jumpstart things.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just as I had thought,the DA'S office just called me back and the victim advocate stated that if the judge choose to lower the restitution ,she didn't think that there is anything that they could do.I told them your answer and she is looking into it.I had the second in command to the county DA handling my case because of the inability of countless asst DA'S to do the proper job and complete their task before being transferred to another court.They all know who I am and my guess is they want to steer clear if any new ripple in what they thought was a closed case were to arise.

Please remember that information provided here is not legal advice nor should it be relied upon as such.

I will opt-out of this question, thereby opening it up to a new expert. The new expert will have access to everything provided here so they can review everything without the need for re-typing it. Perhaps the new expert may have some new ideas regarding your issue.

Thank you and good luck.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm still waiting for the new legal expert to contact me.
Legal-Kal
Legal-Kal
Legal-Kal, Criminal Defense Lawyer