How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27056
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a property that was seize by custom they came to my

Customer Question

JA: Hi. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: i have a property that was seize by custom they came to my house with search warrant they didnt find nottn but siezed some property
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?
Customer: september i live in indianapolis
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: nope
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: but i received a letter for forfeiture of the property and clamimant claimanty
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 10 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 10 months ago.

The government can initiate a forfeiture such as this when they believe that the property is either the fruit or the instrumentality of a crime -- meaning that it was either paid for with illegally obtained money or being used to commit criminal acts.

They can't take it, however, without due process, which means you are entitled to a hearing on the matter. There's typically only a small window of opportunity to ask for that hearing. Your rights are enumerated in the letter you received, and there are lawyers who specialize in these hearings.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 10 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Related Criminal Law Questions