How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nisha Jones, Esq. Your Own Question
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 593
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Nisha Jones, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is the law as for ssi payee .. if i have sole custody

Customer Question

what is the law as for ssi payee .. if i have sole custody and my ex isnt returning my 15 year old son according to the court order . do i keep paying for my sons needs ?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the court order was issued in?
Customer: oregon i had sole custody and 5050 parenting my son is 14 to 16 years old and the two years i contuine to fight to get my son back by every month buy clothes food and what ever else for my son plus keep a roof over his head if he returnes
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'm sorry to hear that this has been happening. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Do you have an official court order or final decree on how time with each parent is split? --If so, then my recommendation is to have your attorney help you bring this back up to the family law judge, and let the judge know that your ex is violating the parenting order. You could potentially also alert police officials that your ex is keeping your son in violation of the order, provide them with a copy of the judgement from the court regarding time distribution, and have them return your son home. I know that could potentially be emotionally uncomfortable for your son, so I know there are many factors to consider with that option; but my best recommendation is to bring this back up to the family court judge immediately, who can either adjust the visitation schedule and/or hold your ex in contempt for violating the order and even arrest them.

As far as making financial payments, is there a court order for child support? --If so, then my recommendation is to continue paying any amount that has been court ordered. The reason for this is that you want to ensure you cannot possibly be held in contempt for violating the court's orders in any way. If the money you pay is voluntary, then any amount you continue to pay or if you wish to stop until your son is returned home, then that is solely in your discretion.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars as this is the only way experts are compensated for our time here on 'just answer'. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can still continue our conversation for free after. Thanks!

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!