Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

If a juvenile is the victim of a crime, how can the victim

Customer Question
protect his/her confidentiality/privacy while filing...
If a juvenile is the victim of a crime, how can the victim protect his/her confidentiality/privacy while filing a police report or responding to a police investigation, particularly if the crime then goes to trial and court records are produced? Is it important for the victim to have an attorney present while responding to an investigation to ensure privacy is maintained? Are other services available for a juvenile victim?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/30/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Please tell me what state this is in And also is the perpetrator a juvenile as well, or, not?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ohio; perpetrator is not a juvenile
Thank you. According to ORC 2907.11. A victim has the right to ask the judge to order that the information included in the police report not be released. If such a request is granted by the judge, all names and details will remain confidential until after a preliminary hearing or an arraignment or until the case is dismissed. The agencies involved, as well as the media, have adopted policies that may prevent the release of a victim’s identity.
Often, the prosecutor will do this on the victim's behalf, if asked.
In addition, in FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT, documents from ongoing investigations and prosecuted cases are prevented being released.
While there is no specific statutory additional rights to a minor, most media will respect a minor's right to privacy and not print their name. In addition, the Court can at request REDACT the minor's name from the records or identity them by initial ONLY.
In short, there are ways to prevent dissemination of identity and they normally work well.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!
Ely, Counselor at Law