Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
93473422

I'm flying to Puerto Rico from New Jersey next week, and

Customer Question

Hi, I'm flying to Puerto Rico from New Jersey next week, and just found out I have a bench warrant for missing a court date for driving on a suspended lisence. Is it likely I will be stopped?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?
Customer: Sept 19th. - warrant is in Maryland
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I've been in contact with a law firm, but they haven't been very diligent in getting back to me :(
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nothing else
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok

Yes, you will almost definitely be stopped upon re-entry into the US. Once they run your name at the airport, the bench warrant will show up. They will then most likely arrest you and inform Maryland authorities to see whether they want to extradite you from New Jersey (or whichever state you fly back into) back to Maryland.

My recommendation is to get this taken care of before flying out of the country. It's just not worth the extra stress and trouble of having to be detained, transported, etc. to attend a court date. Hopefully if you act preemptively, this will be something that can be resolved fairly easily, as opposed to going to the process of being detained and extradited.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars as this is the only way experts are compensated for our time here on 'just answer'. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can still continue our conversation for free after. Thanks!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!