How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 33554
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter received a citation in the mail in PA for

Customer Question

my daughter received a citation in the mail in PA for harassment(she fought with a girl who was bullying her) She made the mistake of calling the local police. The girl wanted to press charges so she received a citation. My daughter can NOT HAVE A Criminal record she is to go in the peace corp in June what can we do
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: Its in PA, Montgomery county an she attend Penn State Abington. It occurred on campus
JA: Have you talked to a laywer yet?
Customer: No just received the citation today in the mail
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: if there are programs she can go into to avoid having a record
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well what advice can you give me
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 10 months ago.

While many people don't like this answer, in your daughter's case the only correct answer is to hire a lawyer and turn it over to them.

I'm not sure if the Peace corps looks only at convictions now or looks at arrests and then pulls the files to dig further. At one time they were doing an investigation of any criminal charge and harassment would fit under their category to be investigated.

What the lawyer will do is either get the DA to withdraw the charge, or else get a plea bargain offer that will result in the case being dismissed at some point. There are a number of ways of doing this but the lawyer can succeed by making the DA think that they are going to go to trial if the DA doesn't offer a plea bargain offer that the lawyer will tell you to accept. Usually these are either pretrial diversions or deferred adjudications. Both of these require a little probation, sometimes informal, but mostly they require that she stay out of trouble during the probation time.

Please ask any follow up you have in this thread.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 10 months ago.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.

Related Criminal Law Questions