How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttyHeather Your Own Question
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 677
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
AttyHeather is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have court date coming up in 2 days for a traffic stop the

Customer Question

I have court date coming up in 2 days for a traffic stop the resulted in me receiving drug charges in which I served 2 weeks in jail but was released after maxing out my parole but I have a year of additional parole I started upon released . Also I'm a convicted felon with a drug and robbery conviction on my record . I'm also in school . I recently hired an attorney I cant afford to pay until next week. This is the same attorney that I used at the start of this case at the pre lem and go the felon gone now I'm facing 2 (M)..
With all that being said I would like to know ?
Should I just hire a attorney I can afford for this date ?
Or can I wait until net week to pay mines ?
Also if possible I would like to know how you see my situation
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Travis, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Just to clarify so that I can better assist you, did you say you are now facing 2 misdemeanors? Or is it just one? If you can let me know what the specific charges are that would be best.

Also, is the court date that you have coming up in 2 days, will that be your first court date for this new charge? If so, then it's just Arraignment, where the prosecutor will let you know what the formal charges are against you and ask how you plea. In that case, you don't necessarily need a lawyer there because you just plead not guilty, and accept any paperwork they hand you, then your lawyer will will be able to look at your case and go from there once you are able to officially hire him to represent you.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars as this is the only way experts are compensated for our time here on 'just answer'. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can still continue our conversation for free after. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
possession of a controlled substance
posses with intent to deliverit was a traffic stop they claim they smelled weed and looked in my car seen a wrapper for blunts told me step out searched the car then said they found a object hidden in the arm rest and weed in my gas tankAnd I already got the charges and went to the pre lem where the felony chage was dropped .DO i need a lawyer for the next dat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i can send you the paper work
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Okay, from the above information it sounds like you may already have had your arraignment hearing, the next date will be for sounding, it's a status hearing, so that the judge can know whether you and/or the state want to move ahead to trial or whether both parties will be coming to a plea agreement.

If you need more time in order to retain your attorney, then you can ask for a continuance at this court date, and state the reason to the judge as being that you are working on retaining your lawyer, which you'll be doing in the next week. You're allowed to ask for a continuance at this date, and it should be granted to you on this basis. That way you'll have enough time to retain your attorney and have him get to work on your case. In other words-- yes, you need an attorney at the upcoming court date, but since the money for hiring him is a bit of an issue for this week, you are permitted to ask for a continuance, and that will buy you the time you need.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions. Also a gentle reminder-- please take a moment to rate me using the stars at this time, as a positive rating is the only way the website compensates me for my time. Thanks so much!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long of push can I do ? Your answering mr but not fully are you a pa lawyer ? I was asking possible out comes and if you needed additional
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm not a PA lawyer, but I can opt out so that hopefully one on the site can help you. Best of luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Heather, an attorney with experience in criminal law and I would like to assist you. I'm not seeing that a PA lawyer is accepting this question at this particular time, but I am happy to help.

You need to go to your court date. If it is going to take you a couple of weeks to a month to get the money, the judge should be ok with that, as long as you explain it, and let him know how long of a continuance you need. As long as the amount of time you are requesting is not unreasonable, you should be able to get the extra time.

Does that help?

Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 year ago.

Hi sir.

It looks like you were able to view my answer, but I did not see that you wrote any follow up questions or let me know if you need additional help. Can you please let me know if you need more help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I ask for a Continuation properly ?
How should I ask I have prior felons and am on parole . I would like 2 months and I can pay him off in full 1 month will only allow me to retain him ? i feel uncomfortable going in with representation due to the false accusations and lies the cops have already told
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 year ago.

Really, you just need to go into your court hearing and verbally ask the judge. Sometimes, attorneys file motions for continuances or extensions of time, but you can go into court and do it verbally, and that really is the easiest way. You will have to explain your reason for needing the time, and state the amount of time you thinks is reasonable.

Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 year ago.

Could you please provide a positive rating for this question?