Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Is there a process in NV that allows you to have a felony

Customer Question
reduced to a misdemeanor, in...
Is there a process in NV that allows you to have a felony reduced to a misdemeanor, in UT it's the law 402 reduction law?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/27/2016
Criminal Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 1 year ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Is this in reference to a conviction that already occurred, or is it one that is pending?

And is the felony conviction for a "wobbler" (a crime that can be charged as either a misdemeanor or a felony)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was domestic violence, which they both should have been charged with or neither one should have been and yes it could have been a misdemeanor but he was intoxicated and the cops entered his apartment and woke him up and he was combative. They lived with me for about two years and she was pure evil.

While there isn't a mechanism to have a conviction that was previously entered moved down from a felony to a misdemeanor, NV is fairly progressive when it comes to sealing criminal records.

A sealed record is similar to an expungement (it doesn't go away, but it is no longer public), and it is much more effective than simply moving the conviction down to a misdemeanor.

Unfortunately, for a domestic violence conviction (regardless as to whether it was a felony or a misdemeanor, is going to require that the case be concluded (all probation/parole completed) for a period of at least 7 years prior to filing to have the record sealed.

See: http://www.clarkcountynv.gov/public-defender/Documents/Sealing%20Records%20Booklet.pdf (Packet for Clark Co. but information is appropriate state wide)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Ok, thanks so much.

You are welcome, and I do wish you the best with this matter.

Thank you for using our forum, and please do not forget to rate my service (the series of 5 stars next to the chat window) so that I can receive credit for assisting you.

If you would like to direct future questions to me specifically, you can do so by starting your new question with "For CalAttorney2" and a moderator will notify me.

Thank you again, and again I wish you the best.

Bill

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Ok, I will do that, thanks again!

Dear Customer,

I was just following up to see if there was anything further you needed, if you are ready to rate my service, please do not forget to click on the series of 5 stars next to the chat window (that is how we receive credit for assisting customers and how the forum tracks our customer service).

Thank you again for using our forum, and I do wish you the best with this matter.

Best regards,

Bill

CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney