How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118171
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a vtl0511 01 I had no idea that NY had suspended my

Customer Question

I have a vtl0511 01 I had no idea that NY had suspended my driving privileges, as I no longer reside there. Dmv says I was late surrendering license plates and I owe them 100 use fine. What do you recommend?
JA: Regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New York state
JA: Have you talked to a laywer yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have never been charged with any criminal offense
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, NY DMV is pretty concrete with these issues. If you failed to return the plate they will suspend you until you do and you have to pay the fine and then a license reinstatement fee in NY before they will release your license hold to get a license anywhere else. Even if you did get a license before the suspension hold, the only way to get it lifted is to pay off the fine and reinstatement fee now. They are only liable for sending notice to your last known address so, if they send notice to the last registered address, there is not much else you can do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have a problem paying the fine. I am more concerned with any repercussions on my criminal record or points on the license. Do I need to be represented by a lawyer in court?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply.

In order for them to convict you of this misdemeanor criminal offense, which carries a penalty of up to 30 days in jail and up to $500 fine, they have to prove you KNOWINGLY drove with the suspended license. If they cannot prove you knew in that they cannot prove you received notice because you moved, then most times the prosecutor will dismiss the case or agree to change the violation to a non-moving violation and you should not show up without a local attorney to negotiate this for you.