How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 34746
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

There is a couple using my mailing address as theirs for

Customer Question

There is a couple using my mailing address as theirs for legal purposes (w-2s, DSS, social security cards etc.) without my permission. I am assuming this is a type of fraud and I am curious as to what legal recourse I have
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Colorado
JA: Have you talked to a laywer yet?
Customer: no we have asked them multiple times to stop using our address and I am not at the point where I want to look into legal options
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: shoot, sorry I'm at work right now and typing quickly. I am now* at the point where I want to look into legal options.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I think that's about it
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me, have you been harmed by this somehow? If so how?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, but I certainly do not want someone who owes back child support putting my address down as theirs for any reason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just want to know what my options are legally speaking so that I can know what I'm talking about when I talk to them next. If they do not stop after this I am going to look into hiring a lawyer.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thank you
If this has harmed you, in any way? You can sue them for the harm suffered...this is why I asked if you were harmed.

But to sue? You must be able to show damages (how you were harmed)

So not sure you have a basis to file a lawsuit. way to approach this is to contact your post office...let them know that this is happening. They can ensure that the mail is returned to sender.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.