TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

Me an my friend were pulled over I had a little bit of meth

Customer Question

Me an my friend were pulled over I had a little bit of meth I didn't say it was mine he took the charge I want to tell police now that it was mine how do I go about it I've never been in trouble I was afraid to say it was mine hes in jail I'm wanting to see how to admit my guilt he is charged with a mistomenor now
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to help if I can. Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct any necessary research, and type a response. Thank you.

Hello again. Thank you for your patience.

For this, I strongly suggest that you retain a criminal defense lawyer. The lawyer can contact the prosecutor to work out a deal whereby you agree to admit that the drugs were yours, and whereby your friend is off the hook and you have the smallest punishment possible. If you try to handle this alone without a lawyer, then there is a good chance that you both will be prosecuted, and that you have a larger sentence than you otherwise would have.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've never been in trouble can I go to jail because I lied to the police and didn't admit at the time
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It was a small amount of meth maybe 50 dollars worth can I be sent to jail

Hello again.

No, you will not likely go to jail just because you lied to the police at the time. Of course, it's possible that you could go to jail for the drugs. That is up to the judge. But lying to the police will not likely increase your sentence at all.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Even if ive never been in trouble with the law
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Even if ive never been in trouble with the law I can go to jail

Hello again.

Yes, it is possible that you could get a short jail sentence even if the amount of drugs was small, even if you've never been in trouble with the law before, and even if the charge is just a misdemeanor. It could go either way. The judge could merely put you on probation, or give you a fine or community service. But he could also sentence you to a few days or months in jail.

Realistically, based upon what you wrote here, jail is unlikely. But it is not impossible.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue.