How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nisha Jones, Esq. Your Own Question
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 567
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Nisha Jones, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sons probation officer asked him to write a letter to

Customer Question

my sons probation officer asked him to write a letter to her, for his early termination of probation request. She said she would submit to the DA. I would think this would be a motion not a letter. But I don't know all of the processes in the state of Colorado for this. He has completed has completed 3 years and 5 months of his 4 year probation. He has paid all of his restitution, supervision, etc... fees on time and in full. He has completed all of his community service hours and has never failed a UA while on probation.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: He is in Colorado. 18th Judicial Douglas County
JA: Have you talked to a laywer yet?
Customer: no. His probation officer told him to write a letter and she would request early termination for him. He is 22 years old
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I know of
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, I'll be helping answer your questions today. This is for informational purposes only, as we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few moments while I prepare some information for you. Thanks!

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Generally, early termination would be done by a motion put on by your son's defense attorney, however there are cases where probation officers can also request early termination. To my understanding they have an internal form that they can fill out and file with the clerk of court to have your son's case put on before the judge. The good news is that early termination requested by a probation officer is almost always granted! In other words, your son should be officially off of probation very soon!

If you're wondering what to write in the letter, you should include the information you shared above, that he's successfully paid all of his restitution and fees, hasn't gotten into any trouble or had any violations, etc.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to kindly rate me using the stars on this page, as it's the only way I'm compensated for my time by 'just answer' (and it's free of charge to you to rate me). We can still continue our conversation for free after. Thanks!

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!