How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Tutor, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Tutor, Esq.
Law Tutor, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 165
Experience:  N/A
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Tutor, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son was arrested for violating a restraining order placed

Customer Question

My son was arrested for violating a restraining order placed on him by his wife (no contact)
This is more complicated due to the fact he is a disabled veteran.He suffers with PTSD.
He is non violent and simply becomes confused when placed under stressed.HIs wife is suing for divorce.he is currently experiencing just such a set back and is unaware of any proceedings against him.Please tell me what to do and how I can help him.My son just recently graduated from Uconn.,owns a home,and served with honor
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello. I am an attorney with over 20 years of experience and I look forward to assisting you today. I would be happy to provide general information regarding your question. At the end of this discussion I am going to ask you to please rate me, since that is the only way I get credit for my time here today—this is at no extra cost to you.

Please note: The general information provided here is for educational and informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

First of all, I offer my thanks to your son for his service to our country. I was just reading how PTSD can sometimes contribute to the issuance of restraining orders wherein normal disagreements or arguments in a relationship can cause a person with PTSD to have flashbacks and then act in such a way that would not be the norm for that person. It is my understanding that people with PTSD relive the trauma that caused the underlying condition. Even normal arguments in relationships can trigger a flashback and cause the person to lose touch with reality and believe that the traumatic incident is happening again. Obviously, if this is the case, your son should stay far away from his wife. The restraining order should take care of that, but you indicated that he was arrested for violating the restraining order. That being said, he needs to hire an aggressive lawyer in your local area to represent him on the current charge of violating the restraining order. The attorney can put on evidence regarding his PTSD. Violation of a protective order is a class A misdemeanor, punishable by up to a year in prison, a $1,000 fine, or both (CGS § 53a-110b). You asked how you can help your son. Hopefully he is in counseling. You may want to make sure that you help keep away from his spouse, help him find him an aggressive attorney to represent him on the violation of the restraining order charge, and make sure that he is receiving the appropriate care and counseling that he needs and deserves. I hope this helps.

Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me.

A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Do you have any further questions? Were you satisfied with the services I provided to you?