How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27262
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter just got an underage drinking citation at u of

Customer Question

My daughter just got an underage drinking citation at u of Wisconsin. She is meeting the policeman today at 6:30 to get he ticket
JA: Have you talked to a laywer yet?
Customer: no she just called me five minutes ago happened last night
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They breathalized her .5
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 10 months ago.

Good morning. Do you know why the citation was not issued at the time? Does she want to fight this? Also, what is your legal question?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She was very scared and asked why the citation wasn't issued immediately. He said that he couldn't do it now because everything needed to be imputted electronically. He is meeting her at Gordon dining hall tonight at 630. I thought that was unprofessional?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I didn't really have a legal question. Just wanted to know if she should get a lawyer
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 10 months ago.

Thank you. Yes, it is always best to retain legal counsel. However, she does not need one for when she meets the officer. When she meets him, she does not have to speak about the incident or admit to anything. She can simply pick up the citation and then go retain legal counsel. Of course, she needs to decide if she wants to fight this or resolve it. For a first time offender, there is likely a diversion program she can enter into, to get the case dismissed. That may be in her best interest, to make sure her record stays clean. At the same time, if the attorney reviews the facts of her case and she has defenses, she may want to take it to trial. In addition, she needs to be aware that the school may find out about this and if they do, she may have to take required classes by them.

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 10 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  CrimDefense replied 10 months ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Criminal Law Questions