Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I pressed charges for assault when I was attacked and now I

Customer Question
have a citation for harassment...
I pressed charges for assault when I was attacked and now I have a citation for harassment for hitting her and taunts to provoke violence. What exactly does this mean? What's going to happen? Is it serious? Will it be on my record?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Colorado
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes I filed a police report and pressed charges. The officer got many witness statements but did not talk to the people in the room...She only talked to people in the hall who did not even see what happened.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I slapped her after she pulled my hair and punched me.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/16/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'm sorry to hear that this happened, I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

It sounds to me like you were acting in self-defense. If you've received a citation for criminal harassment, you may however end up needing to go to court.

My recommendation is that you hire a local defense attorney to represent you with this. Having a good attorney can make the world of difference in your case, and unfortunately with the way the criminal justice system is structured, you can be taken advantage of without one.

You do however have a very valid defense, and it sounds like you have a strong case based on the amount of witnesses and testimony that was taken. In my opinion, the charges against you will be dismissed as having no basis, however I still recommend having an attorney represent you to make sure your case is handled properly.(Many attorneys even accept some form of payment plan, and the overall price for your case should not be too expensive, it's worth it to keep your record clear from false charges).

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars as this is the only way experts are compensated for our time here on 'just answer'. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can still continue our conversation for free after. Thanks!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer