How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 34975
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do you file a police report if you don't know who the

Customer Question

How do you file a police report if you don't know who the person is involved? I feel I was a victim of a Craigslist scam in which I'm looking at jail time for being paid with fake or stolen checks. I've already closed my bank account out as a lost or stolen account but don't know how to file a police report?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. You are asking how to contact the police to report a crime??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im trying to file a police report against someone who I have no idea there real name where abouts or contact info. I was hired to clean what I thought was a repossessed home through an ad I posted on Craigslist for my house cleaning business. The gentleman paid me three times what the job was going to be worth in advance, and said he had more properties to clean afterwards that's why he was paying me that much. I had prior to this given him my bank account online user information because she was originally supposed to one of the money to my account which is not unusual in this line of work. Instead he presented me with the check which I took to my bank account and tried to deposit and was arrested inside of the bank for fraudulence papers or documents that is a felony. This all took place in a city fairly close to where I live so so it was my bank but not my usual location. The next day after being released from jail I went down and talk to my regular Bank after getting back home to my family they said that they had no records of anything happening like that and we're completely baffled by the situation I tried to contact the manager of that bank his supervisor excetera excetera corporate office nobody knew what was going on. I'm trying to fight this in court now so was recommended the information of getting a police report to help assist me in court for proving my case. However a part of my release from jail I also tried immediately calling back the gentleman who'd given me the fraudulent check but his number was that like a Google number or Internet number that was no longer connected. My phone I was using has broke since since I have no record of the phone conversations this happened back in February and it's still going on. Is there a way I can still file a police report with my limited information and time that has passed?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

You can file the report. That is, if you are the victim of a crime?? You can file the report. That said, law enforcement has discretion. That means that they are not required to investigate or prosecute any particular complaint of misconduct. So you can report this to law enforcement…but if they refuse to investigate/prosecute? There is no way to force them to do so.

But you can file the report. Contact your local police station to report this.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.